December 28, 2016

And When Eight Days Were Accomplished...

And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb. And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord; (As it is written in the law of the LORD, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;) And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.

And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him. And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law, Then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said, Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word: For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people; A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel. And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him. And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against; (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.

And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity; And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day. And she coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto the Lord, and spake of him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem.

And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth. And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.


Luke 2:21-40

6 comments:

  1. Lou,

    This is a beautiful post. I was blessed by reading it in the KJV. Thank you for this. Hope you are enjoying the holidays.

    I also was quite blessed by Rachel and Stephen's son's recitation of the word of God, it was moving.

    -Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Michelle, Simon is a blessing to us. Accountability to my own son, to raise him as well as I can in the Lord, is the one of the most sober yet motivating and rewarding aspects of my life on Earth. The memorization project was especially meaningful because Rachel and I memorized it with him. I don't say that toot my horn -- I'm humbled that Simon finished memorizing it several days before I did, Still, it was great accountability and a great way to focus as a family on the truth of Christmas in the days leading up to it. It was also cool that Simon got to do his recitation at three family gatherings (my parents are divorced) and I think that helped underscore to Simon that what he had done was more than just "cute", but that it has real value. Anyway, thanks for your comment -- I'm glad you were moved seeing our son point to Jesus, may that ever be true of us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen,

    I have three children, ages 1 + 3/4, 5, and 7. I did not grow up a believer, and sometimes I marvel at the things I see other believing parents do on behalf of training their children up in the LORD. Yours is such a case.

    Thanks for the encouragement.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had/having our last Christmas service. I'm both saddened and encouraged - I see people now, who come to church at Christmas, who will come at no other time. I'm thankful they are here, that they are exposed to the Word and the Gospel at least once, but it also pains me to lnow that this is as far as many will take it.... they either leave Jesus in the manger as a baby or on the cross as a dead man, but not as savior. I am not angry at them, I weep. I am all the more thankful for parents who raised me in the Lord, may I do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou & All, Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greg/Stephen:

    Thanks and merry Christmas to you as well.


    Lou

    ReplyDelete